The Art and Science of Teaching in a Personalized Competency-Based System
Acquire new tools and strategies to provide effective instruction in a personalized competency-based system. This interactive, engaging workshop introduces and explains the instructional framework from The New Art and Science of Teaching in the context of a personalized competency-based classroom. Learn how the categories of feedback, content, and context apply in a student-centered classroom; explore 43 essential elements of instruction and associated strategies; and learn about planning in a personalized competency-based system.Request information
- Learn how and when to use whole-class, small-group, individual, and peer-to-peer instruction in a personalized competency-based classroom.
- Acquire and practice strategies for different lesson types, including direct instruction, practicing and deepening, and knowledge application.
- Understand how to incorporate external resources into instructional design.
- Learn important teacher behaviors for engaging students and building strong relationships.
- Learn strategies for helping students understand and navigate the learning expectations of a standard, using personal tracking matrices and proficiency scales.
- Understand how planning in a personalized competency-based system differs from planning in a traditional system.
District leaders, school leaders, teachers, instructional coaches
One or two days; targeted webinars focused on a particular strategy