Customizing the Critical Concepts Proficiency Scales
Work with a Marzano Resources associate to customize your purchased set of Marzano Resources Critical Concepts proficiency scales. This workshop will focus on three areas of customization:
- Score 2.0 Vocabulary Terms and Basic Processes: The simpler content articulated at the 2.0 level of each scale is a list of possible vocabulary terms and basic processes that students could be expected to master at that level. However, this does not imply that students must master everything listed in the 2.0 section in order to achieve the score 2.0 level. Rather, teachers should customize the proficiency scale for their specific schools or classrooms by adding or deleting vocabulary terms and basic processes at the 2.0 level. As a general rule of thumb, teachers should select those vocabulary terms and 2.0 elements that they intend to directly teach and assess.
- Score 3.0 Elements: When the proficiency scale for a measurement topic has more than one 3.0 element, teachers may choose to split that proficiency scale into separate scales, although we recommend that this be done with caution, so as to keep the number of measurement topics from becoming cumbersome.
- Scales for Additional Measurement Topics: Teachers may wish to include measurement topics that have not been included in the Critical Concepts. Proficiency scales must be composed for these measurement topics.
For each area, a Marzano Resources associate will provide background information on the research and theory supporting the decisions that were made as the scales were created, an overview of the process that can be used to make changes, and a workshop time where they assist teachers in making decisions about changes to particular areas.Request information
- Understand the research and theory supporting the creation and structure of the Critical Concepts proficiency scales.
- Learn about three areas of potential customization for the Critical Concepts proficiency scales.
- Use a process to customize the Critical Concepts proficiency scales for the unique needs of a school or district.
- Make changes to the Critical Concepts proficiency scales in consultation with a Marzano Resources associate.
Teachers, administrators, curriculum directors and coordinators
One or two days
Marzano Resources Critical Concepts Proficiency Scales