School Leader's Guide to Standards-Based Grading
Implement effective grading practices. Transform your school’s grading system into one that really shows what students know. Your team will explore specific aspects of standards-based grading implementation, from identifying prioritized standards and composing proficiency scales to creating aligned assessments and revising report cards.
Grades pose tremendous consequences for students. At this workshop, you’ll explore standards-based grading from a leader’s perspective and discover practical steps and strategies for guiding educators, students, and parents through the process. We’ll walk you through both short- and long-term planning components for successful implementation and guide you through the opportunities and challenges that may arise during the transition.Request workshop
- Explore concrete steps for implementing standards-based grading.
- Learn to recruit and build teams of educators to prioritize standards and write proficiency scales.
- Discover three kinds of assessments, and learn how educators can use each type as an effective part of a standards-based grading system.
- Understand the unique grading challenges posed by exceptional learners and how to incorporate accommodations and modifications into grading practices.
- Create an action plan for revising report cards to more clearly communicate student progress and achievement.
- Formulate a communication plan to facilitate your school’s transition to standards-based grading.
- Learn the importance of foundational work to include priority standards, proficiency scales, and quality assessments.
- Obtain ideas for grading exceptional learners.
- Consider an implementation and communication plan, and see a sample.
- Connect standards-based grading to the bigger picture of school reform.
District leaders, school leaders
One or two days