Mindsets and Skill Sets for Learning
A Framework for Building Student Agency
Cultivate confident thinkers who have a strong sense of agency over their lives. In Mindsets and Skill Sets for Learning, author Bill Zima clearly outlines what student agency looks and sounds like in the classroom. Rely on the book’s framework to help you develop a learner-centered classroom culture, establish well-defined learning targets, deliberately plan and structure lessons, and more.
- Explore the framework for building agency, and understand the importance of developing self-agency in students.
- Receive detailed explanations of each component of the framework and end-of-chapter assignments that ask readers to apply their learning.
- Study the agency unit planner, and utilize the planner to design student-centered learning experiences that develop learner agency and skills.
- Receive firsthand perspectives from teachers and students who have transformed learning and increased student engagement with the framework.
Get your copy today
TABLE OF CONTENTS
Introduction: Why a Book on Agency?
Chapter 1: The Framework for Building Agency
Chapter 2: A Learner-Centered Classroom Culture
Chapter 3: The Inquiry Starter
Chapter 4: Learning Targets
Chapter 5: Application of Knowledge
Chapter 6: Reflection
- Identifying Essential Knowledge
- Evaluating Learning Targets
- Building a Proficiency Scale
- Agency Unit Planner: Learning Targets
- Agency Unit Planner: Mindsets and Skill Sets of Agency
- Understanding the New Taxonomy
- Understanding Depth of Knowledge
- Building a Learning Target Grid
- Agency Unit Planner: Application of Knowledge
- Agency Unit Planner: Assessment Plan
- Agency Unit Planner: Culminating Project
- Heflebower, T., Hoegh, J. K., & Warrick, P. (2014). A school leader’s guide to standards-based grading. Bloomington, IN: Marzano Resources.
- Marzano, R. J. (2009). Designing and teaching learning goals and objectives. Bloomington, IN: Marzano Resources.
- Marzano, R. J. (2010). Formative assessment and standards-based grading. Bloomington, IN: Marzano Resources.
- Marzano, R. J. (2016). Motivating and inspiring students. Bloomington, IN: Marzano Resources.
- Marzano, R. J. (2017). The new art and science of teaching. Bloomington, IN: Solution Tree Press.
- Marzano, R. J., Norford, J. S., Finn, M., & Finn, D., III. (2017). A handbook for personalized competency-based education. Bloomington, IN: Marzano Resources.
- Marzano, R. J., Norford, J. S., & Ruyle, M. (2019). The new art and science of classroom assessment. Bloomington, IN: Solution Tree Press.