A Teacher’s Guide to Standards-Based Learning
Designed specifically for K–12 teachers, this guide provides a sequential approach to implementing standards-based education in the classroom. Transition to more effective instructional strategies and use standards-based grading and assessment methods to better measure student learning.
Get your copy today
- Explore the theories and benefits of a standards-based curriculum.
- Become familiar with several significant paradigm shifts that will help you make a strong transition to a standards-based classroom.
- Explore ways to shift your thinking about teaching and lesson plans in order to better understand content as a vehicle for the achievement of standards.
- Learn how to develop proficiency scales that will offer guidance in teaching to standards and establishing informative classroom assessment for student learning.
- Discover new styles of instruction, educational assessment, feedback, and curriculum building that are well suited to standards-based education.
- Understand how to develop student ownership through the setting of goals.
- Access free downloadable reproducibles available with this book.
TABLE OF CONTENTS
Chapter 1: Planning Instruction With Proficiency Scales
Chapter 2: Instructing With Proficiency Scales
Chapter 3: Setting Goals and Tracking Progress
Chapter 4: Administering Quality Classroom Assessments and Figuring Grades
Chapter 5: Teaching Exceptional Students
Chapter 6: Communicating Grades
Appendix A: Frequently Asked Questions
Appendix B: Creation of an Elementary Unit Plan
- Figure 2.1: Student-Friendly Generic Proficiency Scale
- Figure 3.2: Sample Goal-Setting Form
- Figure 3.3: SMART Goals Template
- Figure 3.6: Example of a Goal-Setting Chart
- Figure 3.8: Form for Tracking Student Progress
- Figure 4.9: Proficiency Scale for Behaviors
- Buffum, A., Mattos, M., & Malone, J. (2018). Taking Action: A Handbook for RTI at Work. Bloomington, IN: Solution Tree Press.
- Chapman, C., & Vagle, N. (2011). Motivating Students: 25 Strategies to Light the Fire of Engagement. Bloomington, IN: Solution Tree Press.
- Conzemius, A. E., & O’Neill, J. (2013). The Handbook for SMART School Teams: Revitalizing Best Practices for Collaboration (2nd ed.). Bloomington, IN: Solution Tree Press.
- DuFour, R., & Marzano, R. J. (2011). Leaders of Learning: How District, School, and Classroom Leaders Improve Student Achievement. Bloomington, IN: Solution Tree Press.
- Heflebower, T., Hoegh, J. K., & Warrick, P. (2014). A School Leader’s Guide to Standards-Based Grading. Bloomington, IN: Marzano Resources.
- Marzano, R. J. (2010). Formative Assessment & Standards-Based Grading. Bloomington, IN: Marzano Resources.
- Marzano, R. J. (2017). The New Art and Science of Teaching. Bloomington, IN: Solution Tree Press.
- Marzano, R. J. (2018). Making Classroom Assessments Reliable & Valid. Bloomington, IN: Solution Tree Press.
- Marzano, R. J., Heflebower, T., Hoegh, J. K., Warrick, P., & Grift, G. (with Heckler, L., & Wills, J.). (2016). Collaborative Teams That Transform Schools: The Next Step in PLCs. Bloomington, IN: Marzano Resources.
- Marzano, R. J., Norford, J. S., Finn, M., & Finn, D., III. (with Mestaz, R., & Selleck, R.). (2017). A Handbook for Personalized Competency-Based Education. Bloomington, IN: Marzano Resources.
- Marzano, R. J., & Pickering, D. J. (with Heflebower, T.). (2011). The Highly Engaged Classroom. Bloomington, IN: Marzano Resources.
- Marzano, R. J., Warrick, P. B., Rains, C. L., & DuFour, R. (2019). Leading a High Reliability School. Bloomington, IN: Solution Tree Press.
- Marzano, R. J., Yanoski, D. C., Hoegh, J. K., & Simms, J. A. (with Heflebower, T., & Warrick, P. B.). (2013). Using Common Core Standards to Enhance Classroom Instruction & Assessment. Bloomington, IN: Marzano Resources.