Support and retain your best and brightest new teachers. With the guidance of the second edition of this acclaimed book, establish programs for better beginning teacher support and professional growth. Learn tips for overwhelmed teachers and how to address high teacher burnout.
- Understand why good teachers quit, the causes of high turnover rates, and how to deal with burnout.
- Learn how to create a comprehensive mentoring program, designed to offer career guidance and build new teachers' expertise by targeting their unique needs.
- Review numerous strategies pertaining to four types of support: (1) physical, (2) institutional, (3) emotional, and (4) instructional.
- Discover how to foster positive mentor-mentee relationships for beginning teacher support and professional growth.
- Find reproducible tools, templates, and reflection questions to enhance your understanding.
Get your copy today
Table of Contents
Chapter 1: Research and Theory
Chapter 2: Elements of an Effective Mentoring Program
Chapter 3: Physical Support
Chapter 4: Institutional Support
Chapter 5: Emotional Support
Chapter 6: Instructional Support
Appendix: Reflections of a Beginning Teacher
- Additional Strategies and Support Staff for Emotional Support
- Self-Care Action Plan
- Self-Care Calendar Strategies
- Chapter 5 Reflection Prompts
- Additional Strategies and Support Staff for Instructional Support
- Teacher Progress Chart
- Chapter 6 Reflection Prompts
- Reflection Theme: Looking Back on the First Year
- Reflection Prompts: Looking Back on the First Year
- Reflection Theme: Supporting Students
- Reflection Prompts: Supporting Students
- Reflection Theme: Cultivating a Work-Life Balance
- Reflection Prompts: Cultivating a Work-Life Balance
- Reflection Theme: Celebrating Success and Finding the Strength to Grow
- Reflection Prompts: Celebrating Success and Finding the Strength to Grow
- Reflection Theme: Remembering That It Gets Better
- Reflection Prompts: Remembering That It Gets Better
- Boogren, T. H. (2018). The beginning teacher’s field guide: Embarking on your first years. Bloomington, IN: Solution Tree Press.
- Boogren, T. H. (2018). Take time for you: Self-care action plans for educators. Bloomington, IN: Solution Tree Press.
- Boogren, T. H. (2020). 180 days of self-care for busy educators. Bloomington, IN: Solution Tree Press.
- DuFour, R., DuFour, R., Eaker, R., Many, T. W., & Mattos, M. (2016). Learning by doing: A handbook for Professional Learning Communities at Work (3rd ed.). Bloomington, IN: Solution Tree Press.
- Kanold, T. D., & Boogren, T. H. (2022). Educator wellness: A guide for sustaining physical, mental, emotional, and social well-being. Bloomington, IN: Solution Tree Press.
- Marzano, R. J. (with Boogren, T. H., Heflebower, T., Kanold-McIntyre, J., & Pickering, D. J.). (2012). Becoming a reflective teacher. Bloomington, IN: Marzano Resources.
- Marzano, R. J. (2017). The new art and science of teaching. Bloomington, IN: Solution Tree Press.
- Marzano, R. J., Rains, C. L., & Warrick, P. B. (with Simms, J. A.). (2021). Improving teacher development and evaluation: A guide for leaders, coaches, and teachers. Bloomington, IN: Marzano Resources.
- Marzano, R. J., & Simms, J. A. (with Roy, T., Heflebower, T., & Warrick, P. B.). (2013). Coaching classroom instruction. Bloomington, IN: Marzano Resources.
- Association for Supervision and Curriculum Development
- The Cornerstone for Teachers Blog
- Education Week
- International Literacy Association
- Khan Academy Blog
- Learning Forward
- The Marshall Memo
- National Council of Teachers of English
- National Council of Teachers of Mathematics
- National Science Teaching Association
- New Teacher Center